ADHD & Depression: Has Anyone Dealt With This?

By Attention Deficit Connect StaffA Latest Activity October 4, 2011 at 11:14 am Views 2,880 Replies 6 Likes 3

Attention Deficit Connect Staff

ADHD and depression often exist together: http://www.attentiondeficitconnect.com/adhd-a...

Has anyone dealt with this issue? What were effective treatments for you?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • nurse gung
    nurse gung October 27 at 9:49 am   

I had to get a psychological evaluation before my provider would give meds for my ADD. When the results came in, the evaluator stated that he didn't know which was the most importannt: my ADD or my anxiety! He concurred that taking the antidepressant was indeed important and that the Imipramine started for evening dosing was also very good, as it deals not only with the sleep disorder, but with the ADD and depression as well. I do so much better on both, but as many know, I still have to struggle daily with tasks and coping through behavioral approaches. It is so frustrating. Thank you for this forum to express my needs and see what my help.

• Reruho
    Reruho October 12, 2011 at 8:45 am   

Depression, oh yes, it was a constant companion with me for years. I never realized how much anxiety I carried around with me until I started medication. I was frozen with fear and could not figure out how to handle all that baggage of being a screwup or being called lazy.

My life is so much better now and I have fewer problems with depression.
    Reta

• sheriden
    sheriden October 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm   
    Edited October 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm by sheriden

I am so glad you brought this up I take Klonopin and was on a beta blocker that I was taken off of the BB and have not done well since. I need to have my doctor put me back on it. I have ADD, Bi-polar, anxiety panic depression, and I am diabetic and have arthritis and on to many meds klonopin makes me so tired and I am in school so it dose not cut it. can't grasp that so many of these things go together. My number one to cope is the connects since I found them I have done better. I do so much to cope like self talk, relax, breathing. Learned on one connect that when you are having anxiety or panic to breath shallow not deep makes sense to me and works. But at last I find my self getting angry with each new ill. They all seem to work against one another. So I am always open to new ideas.

• nurse gung
    nurse gung October 27 at 9:53 am   

I am diagnosed with Chronic depression, diabetes and all that goes with that. I also have thyroid problems. You might want to have that checked as I learned that I increased depression without treatment. I fI forget my med, it does make a difference.

• mightymouse1135
    mightymouse1135 October 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm   

I have ADHD, depression, panic disorder, anxiety, ocd, etc. Right now I am taking concerta, klonopin and a beta blocker, these seem to be helping me some. Thanks for the post!