Do you have a fear of rejection in relationships?

By B. Wilde Latest Activity March 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm Views 1,075 Replies 6

B. Wilde

I just read this blog post http://www.additudemag.com/adhdblogs/1/6833.html on the ADDitude Magazine website about a woman who is nervous to tell her boyfriend that she has ADHD for fear of rejection. I'm curious if others have felt this way in relationships (romantic, friendship, or work relationships).

Do you shy away from telling others about your ADHD for fear of rejection or that it will negatively affect your relationship? Or, have you experienced rejection or a negative reaction when you have told someone?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • camerashy
    camerashy April 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm   

I'm not fearful of telling anyjone anything - if it leads to rejection, that wasn't the right person for me anyway.

• B. Wilde
    B. Wilde April 4, 2012 at 10:00 pm   
    Edited April 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm by B. Wilde

I like your attitude, camerashy. Our daughter is similar to you, in that it does not bother her at all to let anyone know about her ADHD. As her parents, we have actually been more hesitant to tell others over the years because of some of the negative reactions we have received.

• camerashy
    camerashy April 5, 2012 at 5:09 pm   

I believe that most people's negative reaction comes from the fact that they don't understand the words "attention deficit". They treat it like it's a communicable disease, instead of understanding that "it's not that I don't care, I'm just not listening if you spoke more than a minute".

• B. Wilde
    B. Wilde April 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm   

You're right, there is often a definite lack of understanding of ADHD. As a parent, when I have told others about my daughter's ADHD, I have received the reaction several times of, "then you must be doing something wrong as a parent".

• camerashy
    camerashy April 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm   

I wish you could have seen my reaction to that - "WHAAAT?" You tell them that the only thing you did wrong was have an exceptionally intelligent child! (You never see dummies with ADHD) :->

• B. Wilde
    B. Wilde April 10, 2012 at 10:45 pm   

It's often not a direct statement, but more of what is implied in their reaction. I find this to be a common feeling among many of the parents I work with who have kids with ADHD. When our daughter was young, it used to frustrate and offend us. But over the years we learned that these type of reactions stem from a lack of understanding. Fortunately, organizations like CHADD have helped to dispel some of the myths of ADHD, educate and raise the level of understanding and awareness.